What is diverse recruitment?
Diversity is about celebrating and valuing how different we all are – recognising, valuing, and taking account of people’s different backgrounds, knowledge, skills, and experiences, and encouraging and using those differences in a positive way.
A diverse work force enjoys measurably improved;
- Health and well being
- Safety and security
- Resources and finance management
So as well as being our moral and legal duty, there are clear incentives to nurture diversity
Diverse recruitment is the act of taking special care of recruiting free from the bias related to any of the protected characteristics that is unrelated to performance. An example is to remove the barrier of anything that is not related to the skill set.
Below are the nine protected characteristics stated in the Equality Act 2010:
For you to remove your bias during the recruiting process, you may need tools to help you to do so. That’s why diversity recruiting is required in today’s workplace.
Information taken from Diversity Recruiting, Jess Man, Editor-in-Chief and Senior Diversity Advisor at Diversity
What are the benefits of Diverse Recruiting?
Diverse and inclusive workforces are resilient, sustainable and more likely to lead to a greater competitive advantage for any organisation. In addition:
- A diverse workforce outperforms an average workforce by an average of 25%.
- Diversity increases employee engagement by 40%
- Reduce cost because turn over is lower
- Reduce onboarding cost because turn over is lower.
Diversity improves the communication and awareness between employees and employees are happier if they are engaged. Another good reason to increase diversity is to match the employee population to the demographic of your customers.
How can you become a diverse recruiter?
The Diversity Social website outlines 7 tips on Diversity Recruiting, Staffing and Hiring:
Top Diversity Staffing, Hiring Best Practice:
- Best Practice 1: Educate your hiring managers in Diversity and Inclusivity
- Best Practice 2: Plan diverse role models for everyone in the company
- Best Practice 3: Rewrite all your Job postings to reflect your Diversity values.
- Best Practice 4: Post your job on leading Diversity Job Posting Sites and Boards
- Best Practice 5: Make your job application and recruiting process accessible
- Best Practice 6: A diverse panel hire a diverse workforce
- Best Practice 7: Diversity and inclusion Measurements
- Diversity Recruiting – The Ultimate Guide 
- 10 Eye-opening Best Practice Strategies to Diversity Recruiting – Diversity Recruiting – The Ultimate Guide 
- Building Inclusive Workplaces – Assessing the evidence (CIPD)
- Diversity Recruitment: What It Really Means (YouTube video)